What better way to celebrate this winter than by whipping up a batch of this classic holiday recipe? This is our favorite from scratch recipe for gingerbread cookies... decorate them however you want, and they're still tasty as can be!
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour your baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat for 1 minute. Then in a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and soda and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour with the spices. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, blending well but not beating. Stir in the buttermilk, then the molasses. Shape into cookies and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on the sheet for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Decorate for taste and preference... popular toppings include chocolate chips, raisins, icing, etc.
Published with permission from BGI Systems. Source.