Ask yourself, “Who does your time belong to?”
When you wake up tomorrow, you start your day with exactly 24 hours of personal time.
Most of us have traded part of our 24 hours for benefits. Like going to school or work, you have traded part of your time for education or pay. Personal time is what we call “free time”, the time we haven’t already given away.
Let’s think about how we spend most of our time …
An average person spends the following amount of time in an average day on:
- 8.5 hours of sleeping.
- 1 hour for personal care
- 2.5 hours on household chores
- 8.5 hours at work or school
- 3 hours caring for others
By adding up these numbers, you will see that “free time” is really at its finest!
The trick to managing personal time is making every minute count. You need to determine how much time you have to manage and then categorize it. Here are some ideas:
- Personal time spent in relaxation is as important as the rest of your day. Make sure you schedule time to do the things you enjoy.
- Delegate some daily chores to the weekend. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and delegate some chores to others like your spouse or kids.
- Learn to multitask. You can fold the laundry while the potatoes are cooking.
- Divide large tasks into small ones. “Today I’ll mow the lawn, tomorrow I’ll tackle the weeds.”
We all enjoy our personal time! Just don’t forget to make it happen!